January 11, 1936 - November 07, 2023
Verda pursued her nursing degree in the 1960's. Because she was a married women with children, only Broadlawns School of Nursing would admit her. She graduated Cum Laude at the top of her class. Later, at age 50, Verda completed her four-year bachelor's degree at Drake University. Her love of learning was matched by her drive and intelligence.
Verda worked for 48 years in orthopedics at Mercy Hospital. She helped countless patients over the course of her many years of service, providing excellent nursing service while also brightening their days with her friendly conversation and sense of humor.
Verda balanced her successful career with great devotion to her family. She was an expert seamstress who taught her daughters to sew, knit and crochet, and she supported her children's activities in scouts, church and choir. In her later years Verda instilled her love of reading in her grandchildren. Her family was the most important thing in her life.
Verda was predeceased by her husband, Roland Coulson, of Des Moines. She is survived by her four children, Barbara Coulson Topliff of Phoenix, Arizona, Robert Coulson of Johnston, Iowa, Debora Coulson Palmer of Melbourne, Florida, and Richard Coulson (Lisa) of Urbandale Iowa, as well as grandchildren Justin, Jonathan, Makayla, Ryan, Megan, Richard, and Tyler.
She was also a wonderful mother and grandmother and will be sorely missed. Her kindness and memories will always remain in our hearts.
1) The family is planning a private memorial service. Contributions in memory of Mrs. Coulson may be made to Unity Point Hospice. Below are the instructions on how to donate.
Please click on the following link Donate - Des Moines Foundation (unitypoint.org) or type https://www.unitypoint.org/giving/unitypoint-health-des-moines-foundation/donate in your browser.
2) Select the amount to give. Within the form choose "UnityPoint Hospice and Taylor House" as the Area of Designation.
3) Further down select "Legacies & Last Wishes"
4) Further down select "In Memory Of" . Type "Verda Coulson" as the Honoree Full Name.
5) Click on Send Personalized eCard checkbox, then Rich Coulson as Recipient Full name and RichCoulson@Live.com as the Recipient Email. Do not fill out the remaining recipient address information.
6) Fill in your information in the Donor Contact Information section.
Services for Verda haven't been added yet. Sign up below to be notified when the services are updated.