When someone’s loved one has passed away and needs to plan a cremation service in Des Moines, IA, they may request you attend or help with the process. For some, this may be an easy task, but for others can be an uncomfortable and challenging experience to learn to navigate. With all the emotions that can happen after a loved one dies, there can be uncertainty in what to do next, and the funeral is a way to offer a chance to say goodbye to the attendees.
The ceremony has been taking place for thousands of years, and funeral companies are now starting to change their processes to accommodate for the changes in our society. The premise is the same, but if you do not have experience in these areas, you may have questions left unanswered.
What is the Etiquette?
One concern is, should you even go to the event? One indicator is that if you are directly related or a close friend, you most likely need to go. The other is that if it is an open funeral to the public, you may want to go simply to support the family.
When Should you Not Go?
There are some cases when attending may not be an option, or you do not want to go. In these cases, acceptable reasons to miss the event are:
- too far of a distance to travel
- you are unable to make the event
- the service is private
- you cannot get time off work
- it may be upsetting for the family if you go
If you cannot go, an alternative option is to send flowers, a card, or ask to donate to a favorite charity in the deceased’s name.
Alternative Things to Think About
- Getting the correct information to know when and where to arrive for the service.
- Making sure you have the proper clothing. Wearing dark attire and avoiding loud or flashy colors is a priority.
- Ensuring you come at the appropriate time to offer your support or share memories.
- Preparing for cultural or religious services that you may not be familiar with.
- Turning off all electronic devices and keeping them put away.
- Being prepared to feel discomfort or to have emotions that you may not be used to. In addition, understanding that others may be having the same sensations and knowing that this is a typical situation when someone has passed away.
Making the Proper Choice
When it comes to planning events like funeral or a cremation service in Des Moines, IA might bring up a large amount of uncertainty to the process, and you need a company that will be there for you through the steps. Celebrate Life Iowa Cremation Services is a locally owned company that specializes in high-quality care and offers compassionate support to help you through your planning. We offer affordable rates and want you to know you are not alone. We are here to help guide you through the process, so call us to set up an appointment.