After an individual loses a loved one and has to plan cremation services in Cedar Rapids, IA, it can create extra stress in their lives from dealing with the loss and the grief that can arise. There may be a need to offer additional support, add a meal trade could be one way to help achieve this. There are several things to consider if you are planning one of these events, so let’s take a look and add some steps to get started and things to keep in mind.
Consider the Household
Each individual or household it’s going to be different in its needs. In most situations, the meal train will be organized by one person, and other individuals will volunteer to help contribute. When providing food for someone else, there are a few questions that are important to ask, including:
- Are there any food allergies or intolerances?
- Are there any preferences such as vegetarian?
- How many people are staying in the household?
- How would they like the food to be dropped off?
- What kind of cooking appliances do they have?
- Do they have any favorite restaurants or delivery services?
Organize the Information
Once you have gathered this information, you can begin organizing the event. You will need to have a schedule in place to ensure the individual or household will receive the meals at the requested times. In most cases, there are several platforms where you can set up a page, add the recipient’s information, create a schedule, and invite any volunteers. Depending on the situation, you can also utilize an e-mail system because this may be easier for some individuals.
Send Out Invites
The invitations can be sent via Instagram, Facebook, e-mail, and texting. The participants can then sign up for a specific date and meal and list the preferred options for the household to make it easier on them. The meal train can be a one-time thing or an ongoing situation, especially if the loss has happened in a busy household with children; the individual may need a longer time of support.
Once everything is organized, and individuals are signed up for the services, a few things to consider are:
- Only provide containers that are not needed back, and it is recommended to use disposable or recyclable containers to reduce stress on the household.
- Take the time to label everything, especially if any cooking instructions are involved; you can also add a date that was prepared.
- Be sure to always include beverages, desserts, cutlery, and napkins.
- If children are in the household, consider getting kid-friendly food specifically for them.
From Our Family to Yours
Creating a meal train can be incredibly helpful to support someone going through a loss because it removes one task from their day. Grief can be exhausting, and we have you covered if you’re looking for exceptional cremation services in Cedar Rapids, IA. We are an affordable and compassion-focused company offering services since 1982, so call us today if you have any questions or need to schedule an appointment or visit our location.